Thursday, January 26, 2012

I feel I must expel this from my system:

So for Humanities we have to go to some specific performances put on by BYU. I just got back from wishing it was acceptable to scream in public and throw fruit. I knew that this performance was a dance concert, but I didn't realize that it was modern/contemporary dance. When I saw that I kind of threw up in my mouth. I just don't understand why anyone would think that that is an acceptable way to move in public. If I danced like that I would hide in shame for all eternity. I sort of figured, while I was trying to distract myself, that contemporary dance reminds me of toddlers trying to do ballet. They have no coordination or grace and they sort of just flop around on stage. So that, ladies and gentlemen, is what I just paid $2 (student discount) to see when I could have been working on my millions of things due tomorrow.

The only good thing about this performance had nothing to do with the "dancing". There was a live jazz band called "Synthesis" that played along with them, and they were FABULOUS. They played "Sing, Sing, Sing" and "The Jazz Police", among other tunes that I didn't recognize. I got so nostalgic when they played because it reminds me of senior year in high school jazz band... That was the only positive emotion invoked through the whole performance. The other emotions included disbelief (at the people who actually like that stuff), confusion (why is this an art form?), embarrassment (I am now officially ashamed to be an American.) and boredom.

I really hope that my professor will accept a heavily negative review with nothing good to say at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment